The map above shows what the 2016 US Presidential Election results would have been if votes not cast for Hillary, Trump or one of the third party candidates had gone to fictional candidate “Did Not Vote.”
Disclaimer: The map above was based on preliminary vote counts, and does not taken into account most absentee ballots. Therefore, while some individual states may have had more votes for Clinton or Trump, “Did Not Vote” was still greater than either of them at a national level. Also keep in mind that the vote totals below were true at the time of writing but may no longer currently be accurate as additional votes and recounts are conducted.
Only 6 states + Washington DC, had high enough voter turnouts where one of the actual candidates won more votes than people who did not to vote. Iowa and Wisconsin for Trump and Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire and DC for Clinton.
A few other 2016 election facts for you:
- As a percentage of eligible voters, Clinton received 26.27% (60,839,922) of all votes compared to Trump’s 26.02% (60,265,858) and Did Not Vote’s 43.1% (110,450,842).
- Total voter turnout was estimated to be 56.9%.
- It is the 5th election since 1820 when the winner of the popular vote lost the presidency (the others being 1824, 1876, 1888, and 2000)
- Donald Trump received 667,646 fewer votes than Romney did in 2012, but Hilary Clinton received 5,075,873 fewer votes than Obama did in 2012.
- Neither Candidate even won a majority of votes cast, Clinton got 47.8% vs Trump’s 47.3%.
- As a percentage of the entire US population (including those too young or other ineligible to vote) Clinton got votes from 18.73% of the population and Trump got votes from 18.56% of people.
- Washington DC is the only area in the country where a majority of all eligible voters (whether they voted or not) voted for Clinton (90% of voters, voted for Clinton on a 55.7% turnout). In the other 6 states listed above, victories were simple pluralities.
Like to see more 2016 US election maps?
- 2016 US Presidential Election Map By County & Vote Share
- How Whites Voted In The 2016 US Presidential Election by State & County
- Counties That Changed Party In The 2016 US Presidential Election VS 2012
- 2016 US Presidential Electoral Map If Only [X] Voted
Find this map interesting? The please help us by sharing it: