The map above shows the nearest major US city to Europe, Asia, Africa & Australia.
- Boston is the closet major city to all of Europe, the Middle East and almost all of Africa.
- Seattle is the closest city to the Asian part of Russia, Eastern China, Mongolia and Northern India.
- Honolulu is the closest to most of China, Southeast Asia, Korea, Japan and Australia.
- Miami is the closest to islands in the South Atlantic Ocean and the very Southern tip of South Africa.
Major US city was defined as one of:
… the 100 largest metros (since municipal populations are so variable, and often give no indication of the actual “majorness” of a city; for example the municipality of Jacksonville, Florida, is larger than the municipality of San Francisco, while San Francisco is obviously a far larger metro and more “major” city).
If you found this map interesting you may also enjoy the following books:
- The Phantom Atlas: The Greatest Myths, Lies and Blunders on Maps
- Atlas of Improbable Places: A Journey to the World’s Most Unusual Corners
- How to Lie with Maps, Third Edition
Also please help us by sharing this map: