The map above shows how big Luxembourg is compared to Singapore, Andorra, Malta, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Monaco, and the Vatican.
Luxembourg is 2,586.4 km2 (998.6 sq mi) with a population of 576,249, making it one of the world’s smallest states; 168th by size or 164th by population.
However, it’s still bigger than Singapore, Andorra, Malta, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Monaco, and the Vatican combined!
Here’s how big they are respectively:
- Singapore: 719.1 km2 (277.6 sq mi); population: 5,607,300
- Andorra: 467.63 km2 (180.55 sq mi); population: 85,470
- Malta: 316 km2 (122 sq mi); population: 445,426
- Liechtenstein: 160 km2 (62 sq mi); population: 37,340
- San Marino: 61 km2 (24 sq mi); population: 33,285
- Monaco: 2.02 km2 (0.78 sq mi); population 38,400
- Vatican: 0.44 km2 (0.17 sq mi); population 1,000
However, the combined populations of these 7 microstates is 6,248,221, nearly 11 times more people than Luxembourg. So Luxembourg is not only not a microstate, but it’s practically empty!
You can learn more about Luxembourg, from the following books:
- Luxembourg: History, Landscape, and Traditions
- Luxembourg: The Clog-Shaped Duchy: A Chronological History of Luxembourg from the Celts to the Present Day
- History of Luxembourg: Government, Politics, Economy, Culture, People and Tradition, travel and Tourism
Enjoy this map? Please help us by sharing it:
Tomasz Pluskiewicz says
Sure Singapore is insanely crowded so there’s the difference. But call Luxembourg empty? Wikipedia states that its population density is 222.8/km2 (577.0/sq mi). This is very similar to Germany. How empty is it there? 🙂
Singapore and (on a much smaller scale) Monaco are city-states. Compared to them, EVERY country on the planet is practically empty.
Morgan Schacht says
While it is true that Luxembourg may be one of the larger microstates, saying it should be so based on something like population would be a false assumption. For instance, Iceland has about 338,000 people living in it as of 2017, but by land area it is much bigger! Another good example is the Kingdom of Denmark, specifically Greenland. Although Greenland has a land area of more than 2.1 million kilometers, there are only about 58,000 citizens. By contrast, microstates like Singapore are far, far smaller, but still have populations that can be 10 to 100 times larger.
Luxembourg is not empty, its population density is similar to Germany and France. Of course if you compare it to a CITY like Singapore it will seem empty.
Billy Joe Smith, Jr. says
What is the red one?
Vatican is located between Malta, Andorra, and “the red one” if you missed it.
Malta is 2 Islands, the red ones are both malta