Did you know that hurricanes, typhoons, and tropical cyclones are basically just different names for the same weather event.
The map above shows where each name is used around the world.
- Hurricane: a tropical cyclone that occurs in the Atlantic Ocean and northeastern Pacific Ocean.
- Typhoon: occurs in the northwestern Pacific Ocean
- Cyclone: occurs in the south Pacific or Indian Ocean.
To learn more have a look at the following books:
- Divine Wind: The History and Science of Hurricanes
- Encyclopedia of Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones
Find this map interesting? Please help us by sharing it: