The map above created by @JodySieradzki For @dadaviz shows the hair colour of world leaders. And just to be clear this means heads of government (e.g. Prime Minsters or the US President) and not Heads of State (e.g. Queen Elizabeth II or Presidents in many other countries).
A few interesting things to note:
- While at least one former US Secretary of Defense has referred to France & Germany as Old Europe, neither have leaders with grey or even salt and peeper hair, unlike “New World” countries such as the US or Canada.
- The only two leaders with Strawberry Blonde (aka red or ginger) hair are the Taoiseach of Ireland Enda Kenny and Prime Minister of Iceland Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson.
- Africa boasts the most bald leaders.
- Michelle Bachelet, President of Chile, and is the only world leader outside of Europe to have blonde hair.
- Please note, Greenland has been lumped in with Denmark. Danish PM Helle Thorning-Schmidt has blonde hair while Prime Minister of Greenland Kim Kielsen does not.
Here’s a second map looking at eye colour of world leaders:
As you can see there’s far less variation in eye than hair colour. The vast majority of the world’s leaders have brown eyes, with the exception of most northern countries that have leaders with blue eyes.
What hair/eye colour combination does the leader of your country have? Leave a comment below: