The photo above, allegedly shows a North Korean (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea; DPRK) world map.
It takes several cartographical liberties, most notably showing the entire Korean peninsula as a single unified country.
Other interesting aspects of the include:
- It doesn’t seem to use a standard or consistent map projection.
- It omits the Caspian Sea but does include the Great Lakes.
- The Suez Canal looks massive at the expense of the Sinai.
- Florida and Italy both look much thinner than they are in reality.
- Newfoundland is missing.
- But at least it includes New Zealand!
However, it should be noted that both the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) and the Republic of Korea (South Korea) claim the entire peninsula as these two official maps show:
To learn more about North Korea have a look at the following books:
- Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea
- North Korea Confidential: Private Markets, Fashion Trends, Prison Camps, Dissenters and Defectors
- Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea’s Elite
- North Korea’s Juche Myth
- Escape from Camp 14: One Man’s Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West
Find these maps interesting? Then please help spread the word: