The map above shows what a “Globe” of the Earth would look like if the Earth was flat.
Most people accept that maps use a variety of projection techniques to render the 3D Earth onto a 2D plane. And that globes show us what the Earth really looks like.
However, flat Earth societies don’t buy this whole 3D/2D divide and believe (seriously or not) that the Earth is flat.
It, “…models the Earth as an enclosed plane centered at the North Pole and bounded along its perimeter by a wall of ice, with the Sun, Moon, planets, and stars moving only several hundred miles above the surface of Earth.”
Other Flat Earth believers take inspiration from the bible which mentions “the circle of the earth” (Isaiah 40:22).
In any case, you can learn how to make your own Flat Earth Globe here on the Making Maps website. John has also published a wonderful book: Making Maps (Third Edition): A Visual Guide to Map Design for GIS for those wanting to create their own maps.
And if you’d like to learn more about flat earth “beliefs” have a look at the following books and maps:
- Flat Earth Map – Gleason’s New Standard Map Of The World
- Map of the Square and Stationary Earth
- The Flat-Earth Conspiracy
- The Flat Earth Activist: A Guide to Dismantling the Globe-Paradigm
- The Greatest Lie on Earth: Proof That Our World Is Not a Moving Globe
- Flat Earth Clues: The Sky’s The Limit
Enjoy this post? Please help us by sharing it.