The map above is a humours look at how the Dutch view other European languages.
Of course Dutch itself is view as the best language, with English being their second language since over 90% of people in the Netherlands can speak it.
A few of the other languages singled out include:
- German: (fake) over complicated Dutch
- Danish: Unintelligible inhuman sounds (total disaster)
- Swedish: Furniture names (due to Ikea)
- Finnish: How does one even learn this language?
- Estonian: Or this one?
- Hungarian: Totally alien language (since it, Finish and Estonian are part of the the Finno-Ugric language family)
- Italian: Sign language (due to all the hand motions)
- Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian: Mirrored letters (since they written using the Cyrillic alphabet)
- Greek: These were made with math symbols right?
For a slighter more serious look at language, have a look at the following books:
- Lingo: A Language Spotter’s Guide to Europe
- The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language
- The Unfolding of Language: An Evolutionary Tour of Mankind’s Greatest Invention
What do you think? If you enjoyed it, please help us by sharing it: