The map above shows which countries Americans consider their allies and friends and those they consider unfriendly or even their enemy.
The data is based off a YouGov poll conducted between January 28 – February 1, 2017, which asked 7,150 adults living in the United States the question:
“Do you consider the countries listed below to be a friend or an enemy of the United States?”
Reddit user ShilohShay explains that:
For the purpose of extrapolating more interesting data from the poll, I only added a country to “Don’t Know” in this map if 50% or more of Americans picked that option. Otherwise I went with the plurality opinion.
Top 10 US Allies were:
Top 10 US Enemies were:
- North Korea
While many of the enemies are the ones you’d expect, only 11% of Americans consider China their enemy and just 9% consider Cuba their enemy.
Want to read more on America’s allies and enemies? Then have a look at the following books:
- The Unquiet Frontier: Rising Rivals, Vulnerable Allies, and the Crisis of American Power
- A World in Disarray: American Foreign Policy and the Crisis of the Old Order
- America’s War for the Greater Middle East: A Military History
- The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism
- Washington Rules: America’s Path to Permanent War
Enjoy this map? Please help us by sharing it: