The map above shows which countries/US states don’t require you to have a permit to buy a gun or other firearm. Yemen is allegedly the only country in the world where don’t need a permit to buy a gun no matter where you live.
This is followed closely by the United States where the majority of people live in states which don’t require a permit.
The only US states that require some form of permit are:
- District of Columbia (Washington DC)
- Iowa (Handguns only)
- Maryland (Handguns only)
- Minnesota (Handguns only)
- Nebraska (Handguns only)
- New Jersey
- New York (Handguns only)
- North Carolina (Handguns only)
- Rhode Island (Handguns only)
Although it should be noted that buyers in all states are required to fill out Form 4473 if they purchase a gun from a Federal Firearms License (FFL) holder (such as a gun shop).
Want to learn more about US gun laws? Have a look at the following books:
- The Gun Debate: What Everyone Needs To Know®
- Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America
- The Hidden History of Guns and the Second Amendment (The Thom Hartmann Hidden History Series)
- The Second Amendment and Gun Control: Freedom, Fear, and the American Constitution (Controversies in American Constitutional Law)
- The Behavioral Science of Firearms: A Mental Health Perspective on Guns, Suicide, and Violence (American Psychology-Law Society Series)
Find this map interesting? Please help by sharing: